Thursday, November 8, 2012

1865: British Schooner Yacht Themis: Fourth of July In Honolulu


1865: British Schooner Yacht Themis: Fourth of July In Honolulu 
Source: Pacific Commercial Advertiser. Honolulu: July 22, 1865

Correspondence

UNITED STATES LEGATION.
Honolulu, July 14, 1865
Capt. Thos. R. Hanham:
MY DEAR SIR: -It is with profound regret I learned that one of your men while firing a salute from your yacht, the Themis, on the ever memorable fourth, the anniversary of American Independence, was seriously wounded, losing the greater portion of one of his hands.

Subsequently, however, I have heard that he has passed all danger, and is now in the process of rapid recovery. Will you allow me to ask the favor that you will express to the man for me, my sincere grief at his loss, and earnest wish for his rapid recovery and future welfare.

My fellow citizens in Honolulu, with their usual promptness and quick sympathetic impulses, are, through a committee, collecting a fund from the Americans, (to which I had the honor to subscribe) for the benefit of the disabled man. 

In this connection also, allow me both for my fellow citizens and myself, to express our high appreciation of the manly and liberal spirit which promoted the rather unusual extent of courtesy, which you manifested in so beautifully and tastefully decorating your yacht for that day, and in firing the national salute.

And in their behalf and for myself, I beg to tender you our heartiest thanks.

With very great respect,
I have the honor to be, Sir,
Your obedient servant,
JAMES MCBRIDE
U.S.M.R.
________________________________________________________

SCHOONER YACHT THEMIS
Honolulu, July 20, 1865
MY DEAR SIR: -For your very kind letter of the 14th accept my warmest thanks. With reference to the liberal donation I have just received, and to which you subscribed, I will only observe it is another and most pleasing exhibition of that kindness and sympathy which I trust will ever subsist between the two great representatives of the Anglo-Saxon race. I only regret that the small amount of feeling bale to be expressed by decorating my yacht and firing a salute in honor of the anniversary of American Independence, should be "rather unusual," for I hold it to be a day of rejoicing to the Englishmen of the present age, second only to that of an American citizen. Had the result of that glorious struggle been other than it was, it would have retarded the cause of Civil and Religious Liberty over the whole world, for which, there is no more earnest advocate than, 
My dear sir,
Your very obedient servant,
Thos. B. Hanham
To His Excellency James McBride, United States Minister, Honolulu. 
________________________________________________________

ROSEBANK, July  8, 1865-5 P.M.
MY DEAR CAPTAIN HANHAM:- I pray you to accept, for William Burman, disabled in firing a salute on the Fourth of July, my enclosed cheque for $50, and apply the amount in the way that you consider most useful to him.

I am glad to hear that several Americans have preceded me in such a manifestation of sympathy for that British sailor. It pleases me to follow their lead in so good a cause-and it pleases me still more to assure you that I remain,
My dear Capt. Hanham,
Yours ever truly,
R.C. WYLLIE.
Captain Thomas B. Hanham, R.N., owner of the Themis, Cottage of King Kamehameha III, Iolani Palace.

________________________________________________________

PALACE, Honolulu, July 11, 1865
MY DEAR MR. WYLLIE:-Your most liberal donation to poor Burman has caused very deep and sincere feelings of gratitude from him, which he is just now only able to express through me-but I hope you will allow me, while thanking you in his name, to say how much I appreciate the real kind feeling which has led you in such a way to show your sympathy for what has naturally been a cause of anxiety and sorrow to all concerned. Although I know I need not tell yu that so far as worldly prospects, it will always be my care to provide for, and enable him to feel as little as may be the effects of the accident which has befallen him, still it is none the less grateful to me to know that one whom I have had so much reason to respect and admire during my stay in these islands, feels for and with me in this matter, by so delicate and generous an expression of interest and friendship. 

I am sure you will be glad to learn that Buman is progressing as favorably as possible. He is now allowed to take a little more nourishment and fruit. Again thanking you for this, and all your encouraging kindness and hospitality to me and mine,
I am, my dear Mr. Wylllie
Yours very faithfully,
THOS. B. HANHAM
To His Excellency R.C. Wyllie, &c., &c., &c., Rosebank





No comments:

Post a Comment